Friday, May 20, 2011

Indian Prayers

I just found this prayer in Nur's blog, my blogger friend in UK. She posted this prayer in Bahasa version. It's so amazing to know how beautiful this prayer.

Please read the Sioux prayer in English version below.

A Sioux Prayer
Translated by Chief Yellow Lark - 1887

Oh, Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds
Whose breath gives life to the world, hear me
I come to you as one of your many children
I am small and weak
I need your strength and wisdom

May I walk in beauty
Make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have made
And my ears sharp to your voice.
Make me wise so that I may know the things you have taught your children.

The lessons you have written in every leaf and rock
Make me strong--------!
Not to be superior to my brothers, but to fight my greatest enemy....myself

Make me ever ready to come to you with straight eyes,
So that when life fades as the fading sunset,
May my spirit come to you without shame.


And this, I found another Indian's prayer.

Oh our Mother the earth, Oh our Father the sky,
Your children are we, and with tired backs
We bring you the gifts you love.
Then weave for us a garment of brightness;

May the Warp be the white light of the morning,
May the weft be the red light of the evening,
May the fringes be the falling rain,
May the border be the standing rainbow.

Thus weave for us a garment of brightness,
That we may walk fittingly where birds sing,
That we may walk fittingly where grass is green,
Oh our Mother Earth, Oh our Father Sky.

And also this one....

My grandfather is the fire
My grandmother is the wind
The Earth is my mother
The Great Spirit is my father
The World stopped at my birth
and laid itself at my feet
And I shall swallow the Earth whole
when I die
and the Earth and I will be one
Hail The Great Spirit, my father
without him no one could exist
because there would be no will to live
Hail The Earth, my mother
without which no food could be grown
and so cause the will to live to starve
Hail the wind, my grandmother
for she brings loving, lifegiving rain
nourishing us as she nourishes our crops
Hail the fire, my grandfather
for the light, the warmth, the comfort he brings
without which we be animals, not men
Hail my parent and grandparents
without which
not I
nor you
nor anyone else
could have existed
Life gives life
which gives unto itself
a promise of new life
Hail the Great Spirit, The Earth, the wind, the fire
praise my parents loudly
for they are your parents, too
Oh, Great Spirit, giver of my life
please accept this humble offering of prayer
this offering of praise
this honest reverence of my love for you.


You'll find others here.

Some of prayers, poetry and folklores has been known since the 16th century, indicating that Indian tribes already had literary culture, though still in the form of oral literature.

Most of their folklore, myths and legends were in the form of fable, or about man and nature, is also associated with spirits. Because they believe that whoever dies will be a spirit. The spirits that could be a protector, or can also be evil and annoying.

You know, since childhood I like Indians. Every time I play 'the cowboys and the Indians' with my male friends, I always forced them to allow me to be Indian. Hahaha...


3 comments:

Gloria Putri said...

gonna check out the link mba :)

Enno said...

yep... temukan banyak tulisan dan dongeng yg seru disana ;)

Play Angry-Bird Game said...

nice post